Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Once upon a time...

Once upon a time... I will tell you everything that happened once upon a time, but it's a long story and not even today's story at that. So for a long time I wanted to start a blog, mostly about relationships because just over a year ago my relationships stopped being mainstream. This is roughly the one year anniversary of my deciding to be polyamorous. A lot has happened in the past year, starting with the boyfriend I'd been with for four years deciding to break up with me instead of buying an engagement ring, which led to dating my best friend, and then to a casual relationship. Everything seems to almost go in reverse order from there, casual relationship ends, I convert an engaged couple from their open relationship to a polyamorous one, my best friend breaks up with me, and that couple I just told you about, asks me to move in with them!


That is what this will be about, the impossible story that is actually my life. I kept thinking, "I want to write down all the awesome things that have been happening in my life since I became polyamorous" because the majority of people I was close to would never believe that this lifestyle would work, and as delusional as it sounds, I believe being polyamorous does work. You may be wondering "How do you figure? With all those people walking out on you in the past year?" Two reasons: In the real world those painful walk-outs still could have happened if I were monogamous, but for every walk-out that has come to pass something wonderful has happened shortly after and in fairy tales somebody's mother has to die in the beginning of the story for it all to be "happily ever after" in the end. 


I started writing this blog post a few months ago, July 28 to be exact it is now October 19, my writing process is scattered like that. It is however a perfect example, I don’t know where this post was really going. Maybe it was  just how surreal and seemingly magical this transition has been, how very much like a fairy tale. Of course I don’t know where this story goes, this story being my relationships and life in general, but that’s the fun part. Lots of times when I’m writing, I write the ending long before the middle has been written. I also read the end of books to find out what happens. But this is my life, I don’t know where its story is going, I can write it down as I go along, and I can work on character development. I can add new characters and never mention some of them ever again. I can choose my own adventures. 


The lesson I want everyone else to learn here is, you can choose your own adventures too.


There is more than one way to Grandma’s house, that gingerbread tile you just ate does not have to be your last meal if you just ask nicely before eating a woman’s dream house, and sometimes that guy swinging his sword around who talks about honor and seems so dashing- is really a coward.

Do you really want your life to be a cookie-cutter story? I know I don’t!


So no cheating on this one, writing the ending first or peeking.

Welcome to the life, to the story, of a modern Bard.

No comments:

Post a Comment